- You probably know about the issues related to dehydration and performance, but did you know about the effects on mental performance? Bonus: a guide to using your toilet bowl to gauge dehydration!
- It’s official: putting on your favorite tunes has an ergogenic effect on mean and maximal power output (although no effect on time to fatigue). Recommended listening for your next PR.
- An interesting look on how we’re burning out our young athletes, in part by overtraining. While this article was written about children, think of the takeaways to your own training.
- A quick break from our schedule programming. Maybe you should start focusing on the small victories along the way.
- A few weeks out from the Kevin Ogar tragedy, discussion continues on the safety of crossfit. Might we be looking at a problem with the system, reinforcing the wrong things?
- If you thought gaining/maintaining muscle mass was hard here on Terra Firma, wait until you get a load of what it takes to maintain muscle mass in space. 2 astronauts conference in from the International Space Station in a very cool Google+ Hangout
- Bad news: looks like the world’s increasing appetite for dark chocolate is driving the price up. Thanks a lot Mark Sisson
- Good news: the negative effects of eating a high calorie diet of things other than chocolate are minimized by having an active lifestyle. What’s more, only 10000 steps were used in the protocol. Seconds please!
- Reddit smartypants u/pvnick3 created a database of the estimated satiety effects of over 6000 foods for those of you who might be counting calories anyways.
- Echoing an earlier post questioning the importance of antioxidants, a new study has shown that the antioxidant vitamins C and E actually have a negative effect on muscle cells’ adaptations to endurance exercise.
- Dieticians for Professional Integrity: 14 dieticians make a stand against Big Food by releasing a report on the corporate interests that could compromise the integrity of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- The limits of science in nutrition today and the effects on what we accept as evidence. A thought provoking piece by the godfather Gary Taubes.
- If you need to lean in to read this text, this article is for you . Irish scientists have been fighting age related macular generation with carotenoid based nutritional supplements
- Looks like we may have something to learn from indigenous cultures when it comes to improving on the western diet.
Crossfit as a Fight Club-esque parable for the plight of the modern middle class. Or something. (subtext: use of the word ‘atavistic’ in headers as a leading indicator of employment rates in Postgraduate humanities students)
Critique on the recent fitspo tagline – strong is the new skinny. Is it a step in the right direction or looksism in disguise?
Whether you’re running or lifting, beginner or elite, there is an app on this list for you (my personal favorite – sleep cycle). Men’s Fitness top fitness apps for 2014.
Do you like investment, comrade? Follow the lead of Goldman Sach’s Special Situation Groups to investing in health in Eastern Europe.